Thursday 14 January 2010

Happy (very belated) Christmas!

To those of you who have been checking this without any reason for the past few months:

Hello again!  So sorry it's taken me so long to write anything new.  Of course there's been more translations, but some of them (which I always forget most of at the end of the day when I have a chance to get on this thing) are getting to be much more subtle.  However, in Skyping with one of my cousins this weekend she started laughing mid-way through something I was telling her because she said I was turning British!  (She studied abroad in London).  Apparently, I had said "a bit" about 5 times in the span of 2 minutes.  Not a piece, a thing, a part, etc. etc.  but "a bit."  AND my friend Tracey who is from Newcastle was laughing at me the other day at work because I was saying stuff like a Geordie...  WHOOPS!

So here are a few translations still.  I'm also really behind on posting new photos, but with any luck with catch up on that this weekend and post those links for you as well.

Cheers!



Foods:
gamon vs. ham
mars bar vs. milky way
milky way vs. 3 musketeers


supply teacher vs. substitute


interval vs. intermission
snow day vs. a couple of inches  (They are not used to the snow actually accumulating on the ground!  We got, I'd guess, about 6-8 inches by the end of it all - so not in one day or anything like in the good ol' Midwest - and no one knew how to cope!  I never saw one snow plow go down our street in front of our flat, and it is definitely a main road.  The city just doesn't really have them).

pudding vs. dessert

Geordie
cannit vs. can't
iye vs. yeah
go on then vs. ok, sure, as in a response to a question possibly starting with "would you like me to..." or "can i..."

No comments:

Post a Comment